Weed Science – University of Florida
Department of Agronomy
Phone: (352) 392-7512
Fax: (352) 392-1840
- Ph.D. Crop and Soil Sciences Department, University of Georgia, 2003.
- B.A. Department of Agronomy, University of Kentucky, 1998.
- M.A. Department of Agronomy, University of Kentucky, 2000.
- Weed management in agronomic crops
- Weed management in pastures
- Weed management programs for industrial sites
- Currently Co-teaching AGR4214 – Applied Field Crop Production. Offered every fall. Credits: 3
Selected for 2012
- Morichetti, S.*, J. Ferrell, G. MacDonald, B. Sellers, and D. Rowland. 2012. Weed management and peanut response from applications of saflufenacil. Weed Technol. 26:261-266.
- Morichetti, S.*, J. Cantero, C. Nunez, G. Barboza, L. Espinar, A. Amuchastegui y J. Ferrell. 2012. Sobre La Presencia De AMARANTHUS PALMERI (Amaranthaceae) En Argentina. Bol. Soc. Argent. Bot. In press.
- Berger, S.*, J. Ferrell, B. Brecke, W. Faircloth, and D. Rowland. 2012. Influence of flumioxazin application timing and rate on cotton emergence and yield. Weed Technol. 26:622-626.
- Ferrell, J., B. Sellers, and E. Jennings. 2012. Herbicidal control of largeleaf lantana (Lantana camara). Weed Technol. 26:554-558.
- Rana, N.*, B. Sellers, J. Ferrell, and G. MacDonald. 2012. Impact of soil pH on bahiagrass competition with giant smutgrass (Sporobolus indicus var. pyramidalis) and small smutgrass (Sporobolus indicus var. indicus). Weed Sci. In Press. http://dx.doi.org/10.1614/WS-D-12-00070.1
- Rana, N.*, B. Wilder*, B. Sellers, J. Ferrell, and G. MacDonald. 2012. Effects of environmental factors on seed germination and emergence of smutgrass varieties. Weed Sci. 60:558-563.
Honors and Professional Activities
- 2011 Dallas Townsend Extension Enhancement Award.
- 2011 Weed Scientist of the Year. Florida Weed Science Society.
- 2008 Researcher of the Year – Florida Cattleman Association
- 2008 Outstanding Extension Specialist – FL Assoc. of County Agents
- 2006 Outstanding Reviewer – Weed Science Society of America
- Associate Editor – Weed Technology
- Associate Editor – Journal of Aquatic Plant Management
Graduate Students under Dr. Jason Ferrell
- Sarah Berger
- Michael Durham
- Hunter Smith
I grew up in Ohio and graduated from Ohio Northern University in 2007 with a BS in Biology and Environmental Studies. I worked in central Florida for several years doing aquatic weed research before coming to UF for graduate school. I completed an MS in 2010 with Dr. Mike Netherland and Dr. Greg MacDonald working on herbicide resistant aquatic weeds. My PhD research with Dr. Ferrell focuses on physiological aspects of Palmer amaranth competition in cotton and peanut.
Michael Durham has been a Biological Scientist at the University of Florida since 2007. He ran the pesticide program at the IFAS-PSREU in Citra, FL until 2010 and now currently works with Dr. Jason Ferrell conducting Weed Science research in Gainesville, FL. From 2001 until 2007 he worked for the USDA-ARS Plant Science Unit in Raleigh, NC as a Biological Technician. In 2000, he received his B.S. degree in Botany from the University of Florida. He is currently working towards an M.S. degree in Weed Science at the University of Florida. His research focuses on using aminocyclopyrachlor for vegetation management on Florida’s right-of-ways.
I grew up in Northeast Arkansas and received my bachelor’s degree from Arkansas State University in 2009. I worked in a research lab at the Arkansas Biosciences Institute before starting my master’s degree at UF under Dr. Jason Ferrell. My research interests are agronomic weed science and ornamental plant management.