Checklist for New Faculty Employees (State and County)
This checklist is designed to provide you with some guidelines for your new employment at UF. It was taken from UF and the IFAS new employee web pages.
You can find the official UF Welcome page here.
Prior to First Day:
Contact department and complete payroll forms. You will need:
- Driver’s license or other form of government-issued ID (state ID card, passport)
- Social Security card
- Blank voided check to enroll in direct deposit
Get UFID from department.
Know where to park and if a parking decal is required. On-campus parking and transportation options are here: http://www.parking.ufl.edu/
- Complete payroll forms as needed.
- Obtain Gator1 Card (UF ID card): http://www.bsd.ufl.edu/g1c/idcard/idcard.asp (MUST first request authorization for Gator1 Card from department administrator)
- Off-campus faculty may delay this until a visit to campus is planned.
- Obtain a GatorLink ID and password (email address): http://www.gatorlink.ufl.edu/
- Send an email to your department IT person to request that your Gator email be activated. UF e-mail details and instructions can be found here.
- Review time reporting procedures for your unit.
- Review job responsibilities and expectations.
- Obtain office supplies.
- Review phone number and phone system training.
- Obtain office keys or other security requirements.
- Review Faculty Handbook: http://handbook.aa.ufl.edu/
- Review Resources for New Faculty from the Office of the Provost: http://handbook.aa.ufl.edu/tips-for-new-faculty.aspx
- Review pertinent IFAS Internal Management Memoranda: http://imm.ifas.ufl.edu/
- Obtain security roles in PeopleSoft, if any.
- Review UF’s Worker’s Compensation procedures: http://www.hr.ufl.edu/emp_relations/workers_comp/default.asp
- County Faculty – Review Extension Reporting Requirements for Affirmative Action/Civil Rights: http://ded.ifas.ufl.edu/resources/affirm.shtml
- Online new employee orientation, Part 1 and Part 2.
- Review the online narrated Benefits Tutorial (download this PDF to follow along with presentation) and print the Benefits Worksheet to help you with benefits-related decisions. If you need help navigating the state’s People First benefits enrollment site, please refer to this tutorial.
- Enroll in benefits by attending a Benefits Enrollment for Faculty and Staff session, or enroll online at People First.
- You must sign up for benefits during the first 60 calendar days of employment.
- Enroll in retirement options. Review the online narrated Retirement Tutorial (download a PDF of the slides to follow along with). View the Retirement section of HRS’ web site for more information, or contact University Benefits and Retirement at 352/392- 2477 or email@example.com.
- Review UF’s policy on sexual harassment: http://www.hr.ufl.edu/eeo/sexharassment.htm
- Sign up for Sexual Harassment Training: http://www.hr.ufl.edu/eeo/sexharassment.htm#training
- Know and understand your department’s emergency procedures. This includes a fire drill, evacuation, etc.
- Check this link for additional important information for new faculty: http://www.hr.ufl.edu/training/neo/default.asp
- Information regarding your paycheck: http://www.hr.ufl.edu/class_comp/compensation/paycheck.asp
- Important information for researchers:
- Environmental Health & Safety has compiled a “Welcome to Your New Lab” web page with links to important information about safety, policies, contact information, and more as you begin your research. http://www.ehs.ufl.edu/Lab/EHSintro.htm