- To provide forage nutritive value analysis for interdisciplinary IFAS researchers throughout the State of Florida
- To support IFAS-wide plant breeders and geneticists by helping determine the DNA content of plant samples through the Plant Ploidy Analysis Research Program (PPARP)
- To provide hands-on training and experience in laboratory procedures to post-doctoral associates and undergraduate and graduate students
Nutritive Value Analyses Offered – The lab offers nutritive value analyses using wet chemistry or near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS). Specific analyses offered using these approaches are indicated below.
Wet Chemistry – Price is $4/analysis with no charge for dry matter or organic matter whenever other analyses are requested.
- Dry Matter/Organic Matter
- Neutral Detergent Fiber (NDF), Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF)
- Total Nitrogen
- Total Phosphorus
- In Vitro Organic Matter Digestion (IVOMD)
NIRS – Pricing information is available on NIRS Form 1 below. The FESL is part of the national NIRS Consortium, and we will use the prediction equations made available to their members.
- Neutral Detergent Fiber (NDF) and Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF)
- Digestible NDF (48 hours)
- Total Nitrogen
- Total Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium
- In Vitro Organic Matter Digestion
Sample Submission Checklist
Sample Preparation for Nutritive Value Analyses (contact Mr. Fethiere for submissions for plant ploidy analysis)
All samples should be dried at 60°C and ground through a 1-mm screen. Any material left on the screen should be rerun, not discarded or put into the sample bag, as particle size will greatly affect results (especially IVOMD).
Place samples in 7 oz. Whirl-Pak bags only. Fill bag approximately one-half full (between 10 and 25 grams). Bags with either too little or too much sample will make it difficult to obtain a representative sample for analyses.
Use a Sharpie, Magic-Marker, or other permanent markers to write the sample number directly on the sample bag. Place numbers on the bottom one-half of the bag.
Number all samples in the experiment from 1 to N. For experiments with greater than 400 samples please contact Dr. Lynn E. Sollenberger or Richard P. Fethiere to decide on the ordering of samples by reps.
- FESL Form 1 – required only for wet chemistry
- NIRS Form 1 – required only for NIRS
- FESL Form 2 - required for both wet chemistry and NIRS
- Ploidy Analysis Sheet – required only for plant ploidy analysis
Samples can be hand-delivered to 2088 McCarty Hall, on main campus or
can be mailed to:
1676 McCarty Drive/3105 McCarty Hall B
P.O. Box 110500 (if using USPS)
Gainesville, FL 32611-0500