Forage Evaluation Support Laboratory
- To provide forage nutritive value analysis for interdisciplinary IFAS researchers throughout the State of Florida
- To support IFAS-wide plant breeders and geneticists by helping determine the DNA content of plant samples through the Plant Ploidy Analysis Research Program (PPARP)
- To provide hands-on training and experience in laboratory procedures to post-doctoral associates and undergraduate and graduate students
- Plant tissue analyses using wet chemistry or near-infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS)
- Plant ploidy analysis - Plant Ploidy Analysis Research Program (PPARP)
Plant Tissue Analyses - Wet Chemistry
Price is $4/analysis with no charge for dry matter or organic matter whenever other analyses are requested. Analyses offered and procedures used follow.
Plant Tissue Analyses - NIRS
Pricing information is available on NIRS Form 1 (see Forms to Use When Submitting Samples link). The FESL is part of the national NIRS Consortium and uses the prediction equations made available to their members.
- Total Nitrogen
- In Vitro True Dry Matter Digestibility (30 & 48 hours)
- Neutral Detergent Fiber (NDF) and Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF)
- Digestible NDF (30 & 48 hours)
- Total Phosphorus, Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium
The following applies only to samples for nutritive value analyses (either wet chemistry or NIRS). For plant ploidy analyses, contact Richard Fethiere at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dry at 55-60°C and grind to pass through a 1-mm screen. Uniform particle size is important as it may affect results (especially IVOMD and all NIRS analyses).
- Place ground samples in 7 oz. Whirl-Pak bags.
- Fill bag approximately one-half full (between 10 and 25 grams). Bags with either too little or too much sample make it difficult to obtain a representative subsample for analyses.
- Number all samples in a set consecutively from 1 to n. Do not skip numbers. Use a permanent marker to write the sample number directly on the sample bag. Place numbers on the bottom one-half of the bag.
- Complete Form 1 and Form 2 for your set. They can be submitted electronically or with your samples.
- Samples can be hand-delivered to 2088 McCarty Hall B on main campus or mailed to: 1676 McCarty Drive/3105 McCarty Hall B, P.O. Box 110500 (if using USPS), Gainesville, FL 32611-0500
- Forms to Use When Submitting Samples
- Email - Richard Fethiere at email@example.com
- Phone: 352-273-3410